Saturday, April 28, 2007

Stampede is When?

I have a confession to make. I've lived in Calgary, Alberta all my life and have never owned my own cowboy hat.
Sometimes when I tell people this, there is no reaction. Thia is how you separate the lifetime Calgarians from the newbies. Most lifers, when there hear this shocking news, treat it as shocking news. Incredulous looks, scoffs, and wonderings: "Then what do you wear to the Stampede?"
Leading to my other confession. I've really never been. Okay, so there was the time I went with my cousins when I was about 12. But we went with my semi-militant uncle and it wasn't very enjoyable. Then there was the day I went with my nanny-child. But I was working that day. And I was with a 13-year-old. There was also the evening I went to see Emerson Drive in concert at Nashville North with a few friends. That was probably the closest I've ever gotten to the Stampede experience. But it was the sneak a peek on Thursday night and all we did was go to the concert.
Growing up, my family always took Stampede week to do all the Calgary touristy things that normally got crowded: the zoo, Calaway Park, hikes in Banff. We'd also try to hit as many breakfasts as we could (with 6 kids, you probably take every chance for free, no-stress food you can get).
Today I got my first cowboy hat. It's brown straw with a little band around the crown, with cowry shells. I really like it. I wore it all day while shopping with my mum and sister. Now I can't wait for Stampede! Even just to wear my hat to free breakfasts! (And maybe go to the real thing at last.)
Here's to lukewarm pancakes, sickly sweet syrup, and low-quality sausages! For free!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"And you know, when Janine put that hat on... I knew it was one of those things that required real commitment because -- you know -- wearing a hat isn't as easy as just setting a cowboy hat on your head."

Isn't it funny what you can find on the internet?

Jason said...

Mmmmmmm.... breakfast sausages. I once heard that these tasty morsels are composed of approximately 96% plastic and 4%.... um, yeah.