Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Lovable Critters I Have Known

In the third grade, I had a bunny named Buttercup. He was a castoff class pet that I got to keep. About 2 months after we took him home, he ran away. Or got eaten by a coyote. We never figured it out.
A few years later, my sister got a fish. It's name was Aggy and its tank stank up our entire room.
Then, we finally got some good pets. Two dogs in swift succession, Ginger and Tavi. Golden Lab and black lab.
By far though, my favorite pet was Horst. Horst was a ladybug that found me in November 2005, in Craigie Hall C203, while I was in Introductory German, Part III. How Horst had survived into chilly November, I'll never know, but he also came with me to Introductory Macroeconomics and Brother Hill's New Testament class.
Named after my German prof, Horst was content to wander on my left hand for the few hours before I got bored of him and left him on a fake tree at the Institute Building. Ah, Horst. I'll never find another pet like him.
Someone told me yesterday that you can freeze bugs and keep them in the freezer for a long time before thawing them out. And that when you do thaw them out, they come back to life. Can anyone corroborate this? If so, I really wish I had frozen Horst. I could have kept him forever.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Winter Survival Strategies of Insects and I quote: "With few exceptions, insects that go dormant for the winter fit into two classes: freeze-susceptible and freeze tolerant."

Janine said...

But which are Ladybugs?

Unknown said...

How about this:
"Ladybugs may be stored in your refrigerator for up to two weeks. Do not freeze." (source)

Ladybugs hibernate in winter, I'm guessing this means they can't survive being frozen. YMMV.