Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Drinks on the Terrace

My parents' new house is brand new. As in surrounded-by-dirt, our-street-is-a-construction-zone kind of new.
For the last week, however, we've been getting some retaining walls and a patio put in, and already the yard looks great. Tonight I arrived home and noticed for the first time that we have grass! And trees!
My sister and I went out and sat in the yard. It was so easy to imagine a few years from now, when the trees have matured a little and all the flower beds and vegetable gardens are planted. The circular stone patio will be surrounded with flower and a few trees. It will be the perfect place for a quiet dinner for two on a summer evening, which I'm sure my parents will use often once we're all gone. The picture in my head reminds me of the photos my parents brought home from Italy and evoke images of little European sidewalk cafes.
I'm going to love my parents' yard.

No comments: