Monday, May 4, 2009

Back to the Meat Market

So...yes. My first Sunday in the Singles Ward. That was fun.
First of all, I haven't really been nearly as homesick for Finland as I thought I would be. It's almost like things are so different here that I'm not often reminded of Finland (other than the odd moment in the yogurt aisle- American yogurt is yucky). I've had relatively few moments of Finland missing-ness. Until Sunday.
I was really nervous to go to church. I just wanted my nametag and my companion and some investigators to worry about so that I wouldn't be left to my own devices in church. Needless to say, I arrived at church, sat down in Relief Society and a wave of homesickness hit me. Why were the hymnbooks so thick?!? Why are we praying in English?!? Don't look at me weird when I sing "Me Sisaret Yhdessä" instead of "As Sisters in Zion"! Where is Eva-Jo? She should be teaching the presidency message this month! I miss Sisar Mäkilä's comments! To make things worse, I didn't know anyone except for the Bishop's wife. (But she's probably the most fun person to sit with anyway).
Somehow, I made it through church. And I'm glad I did, because after Sacrament meeting, I ran across the best part of the day: THE MISSIONARIES! They were probably really weirded out by how excited I was to see them, but now they've got my name, number, and know that I will go teaching with them anytime. And to make things better, there are Sisters in our stake!
I figure once I get over the English hymns, English prayers, and complete lack of adults, I'll be semi-comfortable in the Singles Ward. For a while, at least. But as the bishop's wife said to Elena, "I want to introduce him to Janine!"
Yup, that pretty much sums up the Singles Ward.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry Janine, you'll never get over it. Years from now you'll find yourself singing the hymns in your mission language quietly while everyone else sings in english. You'll catch yourself translating the prayers in your head. You might even sing the hymns in Finnish in the shower, especially if there are some that aren't in the english hymn book. I'm a recovering missionary too, and it never goes away. It's awesome!

Jason said...

Hang in there, Janine. I don't think most missionaries ever get over their mission. It will always be a part of you and it shows the rest of us just how much you grew to love everything about your call.

My mission president gave the foreign speaking missionaries some advice (he himself learning Navajo as an Elder) that he promised would help any missionary keep their language skills intact.

1) Pray in your mission language.
2) Read the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, in your mission language.

I don't think that these basics will be a problem for you, and no doubt you will use any opportunity that you can get to sprechen sie Finnish.

As for the Singles Ward, just take it one day at a time. It seems like only yesterday that I had come home from California and moved up to Edmonton. I didn't know anyone and you're still adjusting to post-mission life. Don't be in too much a rush to get caught up. Good things are bound to happen.

Katey said...

Introduce who exactly? Welcome back to the insane, hormone driven world of YAs. Glad to hear that there are sister missionaries for you to go out with sometimes. Keep up the Finnish, it's part of who you are. Plus, here in North America being able to speak another language is ubercool. Hang in there Neen.