Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Well, Father's Day posts seem to be the norm right now, so I thought I'd join the gang. I recently had great experiences with all my paternal figures that deserve a tribute. 
First of all, my Daddy. From geocaching to long bicycle rides to shopping trips (anywhere from the Chinese market to the purse extravaganza that is Marimekko) my Daddy is alwasy there for me and I love the time we spend together. I loved it when he came to pick me up in Finland- I remember seeing him and Mummy coming out of the hotel where the Assistants were dropping me off and as I ran to give mum a hug, the first thing my Daddy did was take a lovely snapshot to preserve the memory forever. It's probably the least flattering photo ever taken of me, but it's the thought that counts, right?
My Grandpas also have a special place in my heart. Today I got to go on a walk with Grandpa Young around Bowness Park and it reminded me of all the times as a kid when he would drive us to school and back- sometimes we'd stop at the park on our way home or he might even take us to Lic's if we were really good. I also loved camping trips with Grandpa and Grannie out to Banff. My Grandpa Redd is the master of networking. He knows everyone and loves them all, too. Case in point: when we visited him at the hospital on Saturday, our ride back to Calgary came in to pick us up. Upon learning the boy's name, Grandpa immediately asked about his parents and passed on his love and greeting to them. I'm always amazed by how many people that  meet love and respect my Grandpa.
Here's to my Daddy and my Grandpas. You've raised the bar for all prospective suitors.

3 comments:

Katey said...

I suspect that raising the bar is precisely their intention Neenie darling! What about the peaches? Dad driving home from the Okanagan with us sitting with boxes on our laps is one of my favorite memories (and a hint as to where my own fruit mania came from).

Janine said...

I remember one time taking Aurora to Summerland with us and coming back with fruit piled so high in the van that there was barely enough room for all to sit with seatbelts! good thing she's used to the craziness or she might have thought we were weird or something.

Eileen Young said...

That is the sweetest comment on the 'men in your life' Grandpa mentioned his walk with you at Bowness Park - one of our favorite areas for walks. He enjoyed your company very much.
Grannie