Thursday, June 11, 2009

UTAH: A Nice Place to Visit, But...


I wouldn't want to live there. 
Now, before all you citizens of Utah get in a snit, let me explain. I love Utah. I was down there visiting two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. BYU is a fun campus, each city block is its own ward, and you have better Mexican food than anywhere in Canada. 
It's just not a place I see myself living. There are too many Mormons on Utah.
Case 1: I'm walking throught he BYU campus with an old mission companion. We walk past a guy on his cell phone, talking to someone about booking tickets "for the honeymoon". The next 6 people we pass are couples holding hands. Then comes a girl talking on her cell phone, discussing colours for bridesmaids' dresses. Surreal? Perhaps.
Case 2: Remember all the John Bytheway stories and youth conference dating workshops where they talk about frisbee golf as a fun date idea? Yeah, people actually do that in Utah (it's actually amazingly fun, I'm thinking of importing that idea to Calgary).
Case 3: At the BYU bookstore (as in the university bookstore, where you buy all your textbooks) you can check your course list for supplies,  go buy your temple clothes and then pick up The Work and the Glory in a boxed set on your way out. Talk about one-stop shopping!
Case 4: My old companion's apartment complex. The first floor is one ward, the second floor is another, and the third floor yet another. They practically have a stake in their apartment complex.
And I know that I don't even live in a place where the church is small. Calgary and southern Alberta is the Canadian equivalent of Utah. But I was still one of only 5 members of the church in my graduating class. 
And yet, there's something irresistible about it all- the school where a Book of Mormon class is required to graduate, having your entire Relief Society Presidency right around the corner, and being able to count 17 different LDS meetinghouses on your flight descent into Salt Lake City International Airport. Like I said, a great place to visit- just not the place for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Back only a short time and already apostate? Ha, good for you!

Katey said...

Agreed. They don't need any more Mormon there (unless it's people converting). We need more LDS folks around here up North where they're a little harder to come by.

Jason said...

I will NEVER move to the bubble. There are far too many people there who have a limited sense of reality.

On my mission, I trained an Elder from American Fork. On his arrival in San Francisco he said: "Wow! I didn't know there were so many non-members outside of Utah!"

He was not alone, unfortunately.