Thursday, July 9, 2009

10 Reasons I LOVE Being Back In School

1. Call me a dork, but I love learning new things.
2. I like to pretend I'm cultured and knowledgeable about high-class things like art and politics. My current classes (Art History and Religious Studies) assist me in this. Now, thanks to my Art History prof, I can answer that quintessential party question, "Who was the patron saint of gravediggers?" and everyone will think I'm soooo cultured.
3. Campus just feels good.
4. I recently discovered that I can ride my all the way from my home in Tuscany to campus and it's a delightful ride through old treed communities the whole way. Plus, I feel hardcore when I pull up to campus in my bike shorts.
5. I need the structure in my day. The relaxed break from regimented missionary schedule was nice for a while, but it was starting to drive me bonkers.
6. I've missed the quest for cheap used textbooks. Anyone who's scoured the bookstores and finally found the one awesome copy that's highlighted and falling apart (but only $20!!!) can identify.
7. It's fun to meet new people.
8. Now, when people ask me what I'm up to in post-mission life, I finally have a decent answer.
9. I get to write a RESEARCH PAPER!!!
10. It finally feels like I'm out of the weird post-mission bubble and real life has started again. Although I'm not sure that's necessarily a happy thing.

1 comment:

Katey said...

The day to day IS real life, whether we're in the mission field or not. Glad to hear that you're tackling new challenges, that's what life is about, to keep learning and growing.
And who exactly is the patron saint of gravediggers? I would hate to caught at a loss at my next cocktail party. Something super intellectual would be handy!