Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Greetings from Purgatory


In a desperate attempt to break free from the outer darkness known as "midterm week" ( I know it sounds harmless, but that's how they get you!) I send this message out into the blogosphere and wait for help to arrive.
Save me! I've sunk so deep I don't know if I can ever get out! It all started so innocently... I singed up for five classes at the U of C in the fall semester and I thought to myself, "Just once won't hurt... I can handle this... moderation is for wimps." Then came the readings, the little assignments here and there. I thought they would make me cool, that everybody's doing it. Well, we all know where those kind of rationalizing thoughts get you. Soon I found myself holed up alone in the library for 7 hours on a Saturday, with calculus, game theory, and marketing strategies coming out of my ears. Then I was skipping FHE to memorize the Boston Consulting Group Growth Share Matrix. Next thing you know, I'll be (gasp) a full-on KEENER.
I know that I've gotten myself into this deep hole of purgatory by my own agency and I'll have to write the four midterms this week whether I want to or not (I guess there are a few remaining options, like faking my own death, fleeing the country, or maybe just failing the class, but I'm not sure that even those would succeed). So wish me luck, and if you don't hear from me by Sunday, know that I failed and that I've been lost in the depths of midterm hell for all eternity.

6 comments:

reddy said...

My advice is to stop blogging when you are supposed to be in studying. But wait, I am here checking blogs instead of reading Dr. Dube's book. But with that class I can't tell if purgatory is slacking, or actually attending the class.

Unknown said...

Next thing you know, I'll be (gasp) a full-on KEENER.

Ummm, I don't want to be too harsh, but there's a possibility that you were born a keener Janine. You should probably accept it. There's nothing wrong with it, many people lead healthy productive keener lives. And don't forget, they're doing amazing things with medication these days. There isn't a cure, but at least you can manage it. Plenty of keeners get jobs in the service industry... economists, politicians, even janitors can be keeners. Just don't lose hope!

Eileen Young said...

You can do it. Remember you look like Baba & she could do everything - so YOU CAN TOO. Cheering for you.
Grannie

Katey said...

All you can do is grit your teeth and endure to the end (of the semester that is). Then try not to do it to yourself again. Please come back from purgatory...we all miss you when you're there.

Kylie Groft said...

I love you! :D

Karyn said...

Guess what family? Janine collapsed in a heap saturday at noon. She performed in her ward talent night with her guitar friday after exams and then held her piano student recital saturday morning. The only thing we could do to revive her was to put her on a vitamin bag. Today she is good to go!