Monday, October 5, 2009

My semester has purpose! And meaning!

Today I had about 10 minutes between eating lunch at the institute and leaving for class, which, as anyone will tell you, is not sufficient interval to crack open a textbook and do any real work. I got talking to my friend Becky about the story of Leon the frog, an epic tale of an innocent green frog searching for greater meaning in his life by pursuing the unattainable light at the top of the stairs. This journey of self-discovery and wonder is written, line by line, on the stairs of the Social Sciences building– all 13-plus-basement floors of it. I've read portions of the story as I've walked up to the fourth floor, where the economics department and all my lovely professors have their domain, as well as a snippet here and there whenever I find myself going from one floor to another in Social Sciences. Becky and I wondered how it had gotten started, and more importantly, whether the chapter written on the stairs from the basement to the first floor, now faded, had been lost to us forever. 

After a quick google, search, we realized that the original story was written in the early 1970s by some students with a mission. Over time, it's been rewritten as the indelible ink fades, with new editing and additions by each generation. Becky and I figured that it's time for the original tale to be restored to its former glory– that is, if we can track down a rare first edition in time for Leon's prestigious 40th anniversary. So far, I've got plans to look up the archives for the Gauntlet, the campus newspaper, and contact the original author to see if she's got it written down anywhere. 

I've got a mission! Before I leave the U of C campus for good either this spring or next, Leon the Frog deserves to be re-written in its original glory.

3 comments:

reddy said...

I am so excited you have found purpose. All this hmming and hawing about law school, grad school, working or becoming a pastry chef was becoming unsettling. I have say though, out of all the callings you could have in life, Leon the Frog is my favourite thus far.

Katey said...

Happy hunting for the story! It sounds fun. If we're having a family vote for your future career, I'm casting mine for pastry chef. Sometimes I wish that I'd done that instead of my Ed. degree. Infinentely more yummy.

Unknown said...

I feel so special to have gotten a mention in your blog. What an honour! Plus, I'm excited to have a goal for the year too. Leon, we won't let you down! As Social Science students, we have an obligation to you and all the permanent marker that you stand for.