Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another Valentine's Survived


Valentine's Day was so much cooler when I was in the third grade. You had a ton of fun making the mandatory cards for everyone in your class, and then you got to spend an entire afternoon at school decorating envelopes to be your Valentine mailbox, eating cupcakes, and playing various red-and-pink themed games. You chugged cinnamon hearts and got to scarf down those yummy jujube hearts, all the while telling funny jokes with Necco conversation hearts (whoever came up with the "fax me" one is my hero).

However, the older one gets, the more one realizes that Valentine's Day is kind of a pointless holiday. And no, I'm not just saying that because I'm bitter and single–in fact, I'm actually quite happy and single. I have a friend who referred to it as "Singles Awareness Day" and while I am reminded of my unattached status on February 14th, that's not what gets my goat about the holiday.

The thing that I think is retarded is that mass media and the big firms have decided which will be the most romantic day of the year and has dictated to couples when they will celebrate their relationship with something extra– whether it be a simple bouquet or a fancy dinner out on the town, or expensive jewelry. Then, they jack up all the prices to deal with the increased demand and prey on people who feel the need to show their affection through cheesy teddy bears.

As an economist, I cannot support this kind of price discrimination. Why should my eventual lover have to fight through crowds to get flowers on an arbitrary holiday that originated from a feast day for a saint from a religion I don't even believe in? What makes February 14th more special than any other day besides convention? I therefor present what I call "The Informed Consumer's Valentine":

Do not celebrate Valentine's Day on the 14th (unless you are a third grade child with your required 25 cards).

Instead, go to the stores on the 17th, when things are dropping down to half price, and buy that special someone a sweet teddy bear or a box of chocolates and keep half of the cash in your pocket to put towards the mortgage payment.

Because that's what real love's about.

4 comments:

Angela said...

I'm showing this to Stephen, he will love you forever.
Although I have always loved Valentine's Day (due to little Valentine's traditions my parents started as kids), I do use it as an excuse to make Stephen spend time with me. I'm not looking for presents or flowers, just a dinner that we cooked together and a special dessert I baked for him. It doesn't happen often, since he's been stuck working closing shifts at work.

Janine said...

See, I think that's a valid Valentine's celebration. It's just lame when people spend stupid amounts of money on junk.

Eileen Young said...

I'm glad we have an ECONOMIST in the family - but - today I went to Shopper's to buy the Lindt chocolates I love so much to adorn my festive table (we are hosting FHE in our home) and guess what - they were not on sale!! However I have an optimum card where I earn 'points' The clerk asked me if I wanted to redeem them. I said 'yes' - so instead of paying $70+ I paid $40 +. So how is that for e-c-o-n-o-m-y?
Gran

Katey said...

Heck, firms try and dictate almost every holiday we've got. Personally, I kinda like Valentine's Day-it means a nice date or dinner at home with my husband, an excuse to bake up a yummy treat, and the delight of my two boys when they get a card. I consider the day a reminder to reach out to all the special people you love, not just your sweetheart. So there big corporations!