Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Non-Author

It seems like lately I am the only one of my sisters that is not writing a book. Between one's work of historical fiction, another's planned series of fantasy novels for 8-12 year-olds, and another's constant children's stories, I feel woefully unartistic when it comes to my writing skills.

I did, however, recently finish a work of shocking non-fiction. It is a tale of scandal, intrigue, and underhanded government operations. It reveals the truth unvarnished and exposed in all its ugly complexity. It has a nasty villain– the one and only Alberta government, headed by the shadowy figure some call "Ed Stelmach". Along with its accomplices– Altalink, Atco Electric, and the dangerous gang nicknamed "the Northern Electricity Generators"– it has conspired to regulate the Alberta transmission market according to their own evil plan. Seizing control of previously independent regulatory processes, this formidable foe plans to build unnecessary transmission lines to the tune of $14.7 billion and the worst is yet to come... they plan to make the Albertan consumers pay for it! Ominous music here.

This ghastly and woeful tale was all foretold many years ago by the visionary predictors of markets, sometimes called "economists". Almost 50 years ago the great and wise pair of Stigler and Peltzman tried to warn us against the approaching calamity, but Alberta took no heed.

But there were those who fought against this malignant medley of evildoers. A last alliance of academics, think tanks, engineers, economists and a lowly Calgarian electricity provider would not be silenced! They fought the machine of bad regulatory policy with words, with brilliant papers and studies, and with public awareness campaigns! They fought bravely and well, but alas! Their victory was not to be. The cartel of wrongdoers had one last weapon on their side: the great sword of CONSUMER APATHY. They wielded that great weapon with deadly force and with deadly accuracy, until the papers were buried for none to see or care about. In November of last year, despite the efforts of these valiant warriors, Bill 50 was passed, another great victory for the majority-generating function and shockingly bad legislation.

So yes, I finished my paper. It was fun.

4 comments:

Eileen Young said...

You expressed yourself very well and deserve an A+. Very timely topic. I can see you in the forefront of some activist group in the future. You have great knowlege - now to get the right job to test this knowledge.
Grannie

Jane said...

I love you just the way you are - just the geeky, geeky way you are!! Also, I appreciate your use of the word "woeful."

reddy said...

See? You actually are a talented writer, there is no need to feel unartistic. Although, I sense a tone of mocking throughout your synopsis. I'm not sure if you're making fun of me or Bil 50 . . .

Katey said...

Who says you are unartistic whne it comes to writing? There is no way I (the kid's writer sister) could EVER write as passionately or as dramatically about economics in a way that draws the reader in. Now do you see why I love your opinions of my work?