Sunday, April 8, 2007

I love zuccini

I never realized how much the people you spend time with influence you. When you're growing up, it's hard to see because you live with the same people all the time and you've never known anything different.
When I first moved in with roommates in September, I began to pick up on their habits and mannerisms.
One roommate often uses the phrases, "Let's be honest here..." and "I'm not even going to lie", preceding statements. Another expresses approval by saying, "I fully support that." A friend used to use the term "weak sauce" to describe something that was a poor excuse or exceedingly lame. These figures of speech quickly made their way into my vocabulary.
I recently began spending a bit more time with another friend, who often makes statements beginning with "Just", ex: Just a great night! or Just a funny movie! I noticed the other night that I have also begun to make similar statements.
One time I saw a pumpkin that had been accidentally cross-pollinated with a zuccini. It was kind of green and didn't look like a standard pumpkin. Just being close enough to the zuccini for the bees to mix things up had changed the pumkin.
The people that I'm around enough to pick up on their speech have changed me in other ways. I've also picked up on their attitudes and philosophies, generally for the good.
So thanks to all my zuccinis. You've made this pumkin more interesting and given it a little more flavour.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I fully support this blog entry :)

Thanks for being my pumpkin, cookie

Janine said...

I think I told you already that I won't respond to cookie. Although this may constitute a response.

Unknown said...

Can't we all just get a long?

Janine said...

Andrew, you and I always get along... except when you insist on mocking economics. Then, there's trouble.