Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Joys of Public Radio

When did I get old?
The other day, while driving around in a borrowed car, I flipped through stations. This music was too loud, that too pulsating, the other just too annoyingly "cool", and that one bordering on completely inappropriate.
Until in dispair I pressed the button for 102.1. CBC radio two. Some wonderful piece composed by a person whose name did not include a hyphen and a number. It had flutes in it. It was followed by just the kind of jazz I love, heavy on the horns, a little easier on the piano. Which was followed by more and more music...
Why has no one ever told me that there is a station out there that has no commercials? Here I've been listening to radio ads for already what adds up to probably a full day of my life, and all the while there was CBC?
So, yes. I listen to classical music now more often than any other genre. And it has affected me in other ways. I feel myself wanting to go to plays and concerts and operas, to read classics in leatherbound covers.
And I'm okay with that. My copy of Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment is already on hold at the library.

No comments: