Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Registrar's Office

I have had a long, emotional relationship with the registrar's office and related administrators at the University of Calgary. Between my 2-week stint as an engineering student, my quick transfer into the Math Sciences department (the only one that would take me two weeks into the semester), my requests for transcripts during my spell as a would-be transfer student to take Pharmacy in Edmonton, the addition of a minor in German and then a switch to the Management minor, my flirtations with the Haskayne School of Business, and my recent application to enter the Honours program in Economics, we have gotten along fairly well. It may take a call or two, but I always end up satisfied in my dealings with the U of C admin people.
While preparing to take a two-year absence from said university, I have become disillusioned with the efficiency and competence of the Registrar.
First I was told that leaving for two years would make me lose all of my credits at the university and I would have to start over again. That worried me tremendously, as you would imagine. I just completed most of my required core subjects this past year.
Then I was told that if I registered in two semesters that were two years apart (ie. Winter '07 and Winter '09, I would keep my student status but would have to reapply into my specific program. That also did not excite me, as my program is somewhat complicated (honours and a minor).
Then I was told that I would not lose all my credits, but would need to reapply if I missed two consectutive years (each year being a Fall and Winter semester). This messed up my plan of taking a summer evening course and then a Spring course when I got back (Summer '07, then Spring '09, and I wouldn't lose my status).
Finally, after using a few cumulative work hours on hold, I determined the truth (according to the Faculty of Social Sciences):
1. The last semester I enroll in before I leave (ex. Winter '07)
2. If I do not enroll in a class before the same semester two years from now (ex. Winter '09) I will have to reapply into the economics program.
3. I will not lose any credits.
4. Interestingly enough, it is the last pertinent semester is the last in which I am enrolled, no the last in which I finish a class. So technically, I can enroll in a class this fall, not finish it, and then when I get back, I will still be registered as an honours Economics student with a minor in Management and Society. No questions asked.
So the question is, is it worth the $400 and a W on my transcript to be able to pick up my schooling where I left of? Uncertain as of yet.

2 comments:

Jason said...

No. Admin offices at all universities are the devil.

Unknown said...

poke! poke! poke!