Monday, September 17, 2007

*

I spent some time this weekend remembering fondly my favorite comic books that I haven't read for some time, the Asterix Series. I remember them mostly because of their immense cleverness and prolific puns. And the fact that they take place in Ancient Gaul during the Pax Romana , which is unusual for a children's comic book. Some of my favorite bits are the names of the characters, as you'll see...
Asterix is the little one on the left. He's the smallest, most fierce warrior in the village. Obelix, the larger one, is a menhir salesman. Look up menhir and think of a synonym to see why his name is funny. Dogmatix, Obelix's little dog, is very stubborn and loves trees.



Getafix is the village's druid. He brews many magical potions, the most famous being one that gives the drinker "a fix" of superhuman strength.






Vitalstatistix is the chief of the village; the bureaucracy, if you will. His nosy and slightly controlling wife in named Impedimenta.






The village's bard is named Cacofonix, the only bard in ancient comicdom whose singing induces violent thunderstorms.



Also among the lovely cast: Fulliautomatix, the village blacksmith, Unhygienix, the fishmonger (whose wares are typically less than fresh) and his wife Bacteria, and the fat Roman centurion Gluteus Maximus.
For the full effect of these clever comics, read them yourself. The wordplay is astounding. Meanwhile, I'm off to the library to take out some of my old favorites.

1 comment:

reddy said...

Yea! I love *! Thank you for bloggng when no one else is and entetaining me so.