Sunday, February 7, 2010

A New Era


Today I walked in to church and the first thing I thought was, "There are a lot more old people here than usual." (I go to a singles ward, so when I see people over 30 that are not: a) in the bishopric or related to a bishopric member or b) our ward's high council representative, it's a novelty). I spied an old seminary teacher and her husband and wondered to myself, "Do they have a relative in my ward who could be speaking today?"

Since Elena and I were about 15 minutes early for church, I spoke to our Bishop for a moment. He asked me which lesson I was teaching today in Sunday School, and in the course of the discussion, I reminded him how much I had loved teaching the Mission Prep class. He took a pondering look around the room and said,

"We may be having that again sometime." to which I responded,

"PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE CHOOSE ME AGAIN. I loved that calling more than any other EVER." He gave me a little smile and replied,

"I'll pass that on."

I thanked him and walked away, not understanding the meaning hidden behind his choice of words. It was approximately 45 seconds later that I noticed the entire Stake Presidency sitting on the stand.

*Hint: Stake Presidency + married adult couples randomly attending the singles ward + subtle hints from bishop = a new bishopric.*

That's right, we've got a new bishopric in our ward. We'll miss the old one lots, especially the awkwardness that came from suddenly getting a YSA as a second counsellor late last year (What do we call him? Brother Wood, or Jordan?), but I'm sure the new one will be just as great.

No comments: