Friday, May 18, 2007

Namaste

I attended the first yoga class today at noon. (Yes, I am a slacker who doesn't work Fridays. The office isn't open.)
It was very enjoyable, etc. I feel relaxed, my muscles feel like they got some work and stretching, and I got to show off my lululemons. I just have a hard time taking the namaste seriously.
At the end of a yoga class, you put your hands in prayer position in front of your chest and give a slight bow to other members of the class, saying, "Namaste" (the light in me salutes the light in you or something like that). When I did it, I felt like I was going to giggle.
Why? It's a wonderful thing to say to other people. You're recognizing their humanity and divine nature, in a way.
I think that our lives sometimes become so conventional and contemporary that when we experience something archaic, foreign, or of old-world sentiment, we can have a hard time taking it seriously unless we're in the right mood. An example is antiquated English formal language of thees and thous or chivalrous old-fashioned manners. They seem so quaint and outdated that not only do these beautiful gestures fall into disuse, but they are mocked when in use. Which I would like to strive to change in myself.
So as I wait for gentlemen to stand on ceremony, I say, "The light that doth dwell in me doth salute that which dwelleth in thee".
Namaste.

2 comments:

smiley said...

Hey Janine! Where do you take your yoga class? I would love to join you! I don't work Fridays either and am at times bored out of my mind. It would be nice to get out of the house to do something active. I love yoga!

B-Rad said...

Practiceth thou the Yoga? Peradventure thou wouldst hail mine person, but nay the very light which dost illuminate mine being, even that which dost render thine own eyes lustrious.
Lol, was that enough ceremony for thee? =p